The Federal Communications Commission and the federal government have been promoting and supporting rapid expansion of 5G. Some states have already passed laws forcing them onto communities. However people are pushing back and defeating installations. In Hillsborough California 16 cell towers were denied. Danville CA denied Verizon based on the placement was not the least intrusive means. (see video excerpt below). In California SB649, which would have restricted cities ability to regulate 5G, was vetoed by Governor Jerry Brown.
The industry vision for 5G is to enable the Internet of Things, Smart Communities, driverless cars (and more), where roads and appliances (even baby diapers!) are embedded with wireless radiation transmitters that connect to cell phones, smart meters and the internet. The industry wants wireless everywhere with “small cell” towers every couple hundred feet apart! That means cell towers in our neighborhoods, near schools and parks, where we live, work and play.
5G would use a combination of microwaves and millimeter waves, which are scientifically shown to harm people and nature. For a quick overview of the problem see this video of a press conferencewith U.S. senator Blumenthal, who demands proof of safety from the FCC, and listen to comments by Blake Levitt. For more information on 5G see What is 5G?
We need a moratorium on 5G, and we need to reduce wireless radiation throughout our communities.
We strongly urge people to oppose 5G! The following information has been compiled to help you stop 5G to protect your neighborhood, community, people, pets, and environment.
- Keep a watch on your [city or county] planning or permit department for applications for “small cell” towers. You’ll need to call the city or county to find out who handles the telecommunications applications. Note they might deny the “small cell” is 5G.
- Educate and engage the community about EMF/wireless health risks. Here is a brochure about EMFs you can use to start a conversation. Mobilizing other people to get involved to take action is important. Even a few people can make a big difference. It is important to educate decision makers on the science of harm, because this will motivate them to find ways to deny the application. People can also argue aesthetics, location, loss of property value and no significant coverage gap.
- If you live in California: This legal letter from Best Best and Krieger, outlines what a California community can do to legally deny “small cell” towers in the public rights of way. * April 24 2018 Letter to EMF Safety Network re small cells. Update: FCC WT Docket 17-79 went into effect on 1/13/2019. This info is not included in the above letter. The order adopts: new deadlines [shot clocks] for actions on small cell applications; limits on fees and rents that can be charged for small cells; new standards governing when a locality can say “no”; new standards for permissible aesthetic, under grounding, and spacing requirements.See: https://www.bbklaw.com/BBK/media/Library/pdf/IMLA-General-Presentation-Final.PDF
- Speak at public comments at city meetings. Speak to those issues with the strongest science, boil it down to basic terms and concepts, and document the claims you make. For example: Peer-reviewed published science shows harmful effects of cell tower radiation include: fatigue, headaches, sleep problems, anxiety, ringing in the ears, heart problems, learning and memory disorders, increased cancer risk, and more. Children, the ill and the elderly are more vulnerable.
- Create a flyer to circulate to let people know what’s happening and where to complain. See this sample flyer to adapt and create your own.
- Donate! Your donation will help support and expand this important work. To donate via Paypal (or credit card) click on the yellow button below. For more information on how to donate by check or for non-profit donations click here.
9. Sign up with EMF Safety Network to stay informed. click here
- Make posters of Shelley Masters 5G Artwork (see image above) and ask shop owners to put them up. To obtain a higher resolution file for reproduction contact emfsafe at sonic.net.
- Make use of social media, online community bulletin boards to warn others about where the towers are planned and where to complain.
- Circulate a petition.
- Send letters to the editor of your local newspapers.
- Table at a farmers market, or simply go to a farmers market and hand out flyers.
- Take Action to Oppose 5G and Federal Wireless Expansion: click here
Thank you for your support and let us know the outcome of your action!